We are building a tdi swap for a customer, he sent us his 1980 caddy, an ALH out of a 00 beetle, and instruction to make it a functional truck, and a great daily driver.
- Alh TDI swap
- New brakes with rear disc
- Working Ac
- New heater system
- 020 trans w/LSD
Onto the evidence :
Getting the truck and motor ready for a steam cleaning, 250 degree pressure washer will cut right through the old grease.
Prepping the motor for mk1 install:
- Remove power steering, trim bracket off
- Clock Turbo oulet
- Remove Egr
- Remove small idler
Trimming the cover for the motor mount:
- Cut along the ridge of the timing cover, then straight down through the relief for the lower roller bearing
- reinstall and check the fit with the S&P Mk1 – Mk4 bracket
- Clock the turbo by removing the bracket and VNT vacuum pod from the exhaust side,
- Then loosen the 6 bolts on the charge side and rotate the housing so that it is pointed up instead of down.
We installed our 020 clutch kit, the transmission, hung the rebuilt alternator and the new starter. Waiting on the intake cleaning, and we are almost ready to set a motor in the car.