Ryan over at VWDIESEL.NET wanted to build a tdi swapped caddy using our parts. He went way beyond the call of duty and made a set of videos documenting the various parts used, and how he installed them. Check out the website for more awesome videos on keeping your VW on the road. http://www.vwdiesel.net
So you’ve installed your new mk4 powerplant into your mk1, now you are left with plumbing it in. Some swaps (vr6 specifically, the TDIs dont fit well either.) require you to modify the radiator, and finding stock hoses that will work can be a scavenge-fest.
We have used a stock mk1 rabbit radiator flipped upside down, then you have to cap the overflow port, and it wants to leak eventually, not to mention that your temp switch is now across the engine bay and in the way of everything you just installed..
Soo… we went looking for OEM options, found a dasher radiator that works pretty well, unfortunately the aftermarket support for Dashers is very small. There seems to be little to no stock of the replacement dasher radiators anymore. Leading us to our natural course of action, make something that works the way we want.
In about 1-2 months, we will be stocked with a new radiator for your swaps. Fully tig welded endtanks, no plastic all aluminum construction coupled with the dual pass design will help keep your rabbit running cool. Stock mounting pins and core-support mounting tabs are in place. We also have removed the overflow port as most mk4 based swaps have a port on the motor or in the factory hoses.
These will also work for those who want to run carbs or ITBS and are using some sort of an overflow container.
We will be documenting (as we can) the rebuilding process of a 96 VW Golf Harlequin edition. Full respray, updated driveline and a refreshed interior.. All chassis parts will be refreshed with new parts.
This is chassis number 101 of 264 produced in 96 only as a Volkswagen promotional vehicle.
Our friends at RossVW have a great write up and history of the harlequin model. Check them out! http://www.rossvw.com/harlequin/
Back to Project VRlaquin
We received the car in less than a desirable state. At one time it had been resprayed (poorly) yellow over its colored panels. The joker seats were in rough shape, it had the usual mk3 rotten floor boards, a fallen door hinge and crushed rocker.
OFF TO PAINT!!
More updates coming soon! Stay Tuned!
Red panels —- Eurohatch (no more problems with the NA license tub) not pictured are the red fenders!!
Looks alot like a part of a discarded “Golden Arches” campain right now.. Needs those other two colors..
Blue panels came from the paint shop next!!
Blue parts looked amazing in the sun, they should have used Chagall blue on more of the VAG line. This harlequin is really coming together..
Three Of four colors completed now!!
Green Parts have arrived!!! Now we have all four colors! We cant/wont hang the green panels until we are done sorting out the wiring harness in the drivers floor panel..
next up motor assembly and painting of the parts for the driveline..
They are here, laser cut, plated and ready for your swap. Includes a boss for our eurovan cable conversion.
Also arrived, another shipment of our mk1 02a/j shift linkage kits
These give you a great alternative to trying to fit the cumbersome cable box into your mk1. No cutting or welding required, you keep the stock linkage in the tunnel. No console modification, no drilling holes in your firewall or dealing with pinched cables from the very sharp firewall bend on the mk1 cars. Shortens the throw over the cable setup..
Click the pictures for pricing, or go to SERVICES >CUSTOM PARTS