Posted on

Install Videos !!

We have needed to do this since the first day we said, “Why don’t we ship out parts for everyone to put a tdi into their mk1” …

 

Well almost 10 years later, and we have a good start on a video library for using and installing our parts..

This is an opening video where we cover alot of 4cyl parts, we will be making several more videos for all of our parts.

 

06a 02a 02j Parts overview :

 

Hydro Clutch Kit

 

 

 

Posted on

1980 Caddy TDI Swap

We are building a tdi swap for a customer, he sent us his 1980 caddy, an ALH out of a 00 beetle, and instruction to make it a functional truck, and a great daily driver.

 

  • Alh TDI swap
  • New brakes with rear disc
  • Working Ac
  • New heater system
  • 020 trans w/LSD

 

Onto the evidence :

Getting the truck and motor ready for a steam cleaning, 250 degree pressure washer will cut right through the old grease.

 

Prepping the motor for mk1 install:

  • Remove power steering, trim bracket off
  • Clock Turbo oulet
  • Remove Egr
  • Remove small idler

 

Trimming the cover for the motor mount:

  • Cut along the ridge of the timing cover, then straight down through the relief for the lower roller bearing
  • reinstall and check the fit with the S&P Mk1 – Mk4 bracket

 

  • Clock the turbo by removing the bracket and VNT vacuum pod from the exhaust side,
  • Then loosen the 6 bolts on the charge side and rotate the housing so that it is pointed up instead of down.

 

We installed our 020 clutch kit, the transmission, hung the rebuilt alternator and the new starter.  Waiting on the intake cleaning,  and we are almost ready to set a motor in the car.

 

Motor is IN!

 

 

 

Last thing to do is get the pedal mounted for the DBW ALH ecu..

 

For this to fit the way you want, you will need to trim the floor vent on the factory airbox.. its hard to see in a picture but once you hold the pedal up there you will see exactly what we mean.

Truck is outside for final fluid checks and setting the timing on the pump, hopefully we will have some driving videos from the owner soon!

Posted on

Grumman

 

 

It is for no better explanation, a sales pitch.  Grumman Olsen was trying to get the USPS bid for manufacturing the postal carrier vehicle..   between 1983-1985 they produced 500 kubvans in 2 different models (70 and 100) with a couple different options.  High or low Floor (cargo area) dual or single rear doors, automatic or manual shift and right or left drive.

Most were automatics, almost all were diesel, I have heard that a few may have been ordered with the CIS gas engine.

Mine is a 100, with a manual trans (1/23 supposedly) single rear door, high floor.  I looked for almost 4 years for one, and in January of 14 I found one in Ohio.  After alittle time talking with the owner we struck a deal and it was on its way to me.

kubvan 002kubvan 001

I drove it around the neighborhood for a while trying to find out what worked and what didnt .. all the while thinking of paint schemes and engine options.

With a local show coming up in April I wanted to have it there and the simplest way with our work load and project list piling up was to work on the exterior first and then pull the original drive train out after the local show.

kubvan 003 A little bit of OD Green and Raptor tintable bedliner produced the finish I was looking for, and I can scrub it with a brush if it gets dirty and not worry about scratching the paint.

 

kubvan 004

 

 

 

We added a bullbar for safety… you know how rough the city streets of Chattanooga can be..

 

 

Final touches were a set of wheels that I use on every car, but never sell with a car. My Ronal Turbos. They were not what I had in mind but with the fenders and the offsets I was going to have to work with, these fit the bill.  We also added a roof rack and a functioning ladder to access the rack.

kubvan 011

It made it to the local show and we had a great time.

 

 

 

kubvan 012

 

 

From the local show to SOWO14 was only 30 days, so we were still under a bit of a time crunch to get the new driveline inplace to make it to Helen GA.

kubvan 008

The rebuilt ALH motor from an 03 Beetle TDI was painted CAT yellow before installing the accessories or transmission parts.

 

kubvan 009

 

 

 

With all the accessories on we were ready to try out the new MK1 02A mounts and mk1 02J shift linkages we had made.  Of course they fit like a glove and work even better.  The Eurovan Cable Clutch conversion kit was also used on this chassis to simplify the mk1 02a/j conversion.  Scirocco 16v axles were used with the standard mk1 hubs.

 

IMG_4328

IMG_4327

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With those installed we were onto wiring, inter-cooler plumbing,and maintenance parts on the spindles and hubs.

kubvan 020After a snafu with the VNT 17 turbo we put on it having locked up vanes, we got a new one in a hurry and installed it, made about 20 miles of test drives and set off for SOWO14.  We received our new decals as we were pulling out of the shop

kubvan 015

 

We made the trip with out any issues,  had a great time cruising around town seeing old friends.  They had a mobile dyno setup so we crawled on top of it to see how we did. kubvan 017kubvan 016kubvan 023 The video is not that great as we were having issues finding a tach signal to work off of.  After that was sorted we got 3 good pulls and managed 325ft/lbs of torque and 146hp.

 

Overall I am very happy with the performance and drive-ability of this vehicle,  I have put a total of 1000 miles on the swap as of 6/4/14 and will continue to update as we add new parts.

kubvan 022kubvan 014